Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hostess on the Fly


Dear Lara,
Last weekend our friends "were in the area" and dropped in for a last minute visit. I had 30 minutes notice and wanted to throw together an appetizer, but had no idea where to begin.  We've recently moved to the suburbs and I feel like this happens often, with neighbors stopping by or inviting us over for a cocktail on the fly.  Can you recommend a quick and easy, crowd-pleasing appetizer that I can always have ingredients at the ready to whip up in a snap? 
Sincerely,
Hostess on the Fly

Dear On the Fly,

I think it's wise to always have a block of cheese like some brie, manchego, etc in your hydrator - even some "rat cheese" will do (aka - swiss).  Set it out with a little dish of whatever type of jam you have in your fridge along with some crackers and fruit - and voila - a nice impromptu feast for you and your guests to nosh on.

Now, if you want to step it up a notch - I just tried this yummy appetizer with some fabulous friends of ours and we were much like vultures leaning over the dish shoveling it into our mouths as fast as we possibly could.  I don't think our husbands or babies took breaths between bites - yes, the babes even liked it!  I must give credit to my amazing mom - as the recipe may be found within her cookbook Winning Courses.  Note: while this piece of culinary delight may not be found at your nearest book store - I am certain she has boxes of it she'd love to hand over from her basement ;)  It's a great book - fast and easy recipes from the heart (and my childhood!)  This recipe much like most others in the book is great because there are just a few ingredients and they are easy to have on hand.

Tart Ole'
1 block of softened cream cheese (I use light and it's just as good)
1 can of Hormel No Bean Chili
2 bunches of green onion chopped
1 red pepper diced
3/4 cup shredded sharp chedder cheese

Now, spread the cream cheese along the bottom of a pie plate or square baking dish.  Then, layer each ingredient in the order listed above and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling - serve with tortilla chips - and I promise you and your guests will finish every last morsel - we sure did!

There are more great recipes where this comes from... let me know if you're interested and I can direct you to Chef Anne for a copy of her book.   Thanks mom, for writing this book, and for teaching me to cook!

Happy Mother's Day!
Lara

No comments: