Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bra-nundrum

Dear Lara,
I am 4 months pregnant and in dire need of bras, as I've grown 2 cup sizes already, but I don't want to spend too much on bras I may never wear again. I've researched this all over the internet and get no useful answers. Should I be looking at nursing bras now (some said you can find ones that expand as you grow), and some say not to buy nursing bras until a few weeks before you're due (makes sense).  I don't even know what kind of store to start with (ones that sell regular bras? ones that sell maternity/nursing bras?). I did get a professional fitting yesterday (at a professional lingerie store), so I know my size. I bought one of their bras but it was $120. They suggested not to buy nursing bras until later, and I was mostly satisfied with the comfort and style of their bras, but $120 each is just too much.


Sincerely,
Bra-nundrum


Dear Bra-nundrum,


I would love to share a personal experience with this question - as I am hoping this answer could potentially help others to learn from my mistake. 


It is perfectly normal to grow throughout your pregnancy. So with that I would check out the bras at Kohl's.  They are always on sale and there is a good selection of affordable bras that you can use and then re-use in future pregnancies.  As for nursing bras - I did not purchase any nursing bras prior to having my son.  I was told to take a few nursing tanks to the hospital.  I found some at Target - but I found them to be small and uncomfortable.  I ended up buying a more expensive brand from a great store in Chicago called Be By Baby  The people who work there are incredibly knowledgeable and easy to talk to regarding nursing.  Nursing tanks work well in the hospital and those first few days you are home getting acquainted with nursing.  


Your breasts change dramatically that first month after you have a baby.  Note: this may not be the case for all women depending on your milk supply and natural breast size.  Your milk doesn't come in until 3-4 days after you have the baby.  Then WHAM you have some giant girls that are hard to walk with let alone stuff into a bra.  These will not be your permanent nursing ta tas. Your milk will slow down and your Dolly Partons will shrink to a more natural size within a couple of weeks of nursing.  


As for my personal experience... well, let's just say I learned a lot from this mistake.  The minute I had my son I sent my poor husband to Be By Baby on a mission for nursing bras.  He came home with some great options that the wonderful owner of the store had suggested.  I liked these so much, I went back to the store and bought more.  HOWEVER, I was also deep in the trenches of nursing hell and thought that buying an endless supply of expensive nursing bras would ease all of my pains and somehow cure my little one of his latching woes caused by his Tongue Tie (he's perfectly fine, now).  


So, 12 days into nursing I learned that I physically could no longer nurse and that my child was in some serious need of food.  I've got 3 nursing tanks and 5 designer nursing bras (great brand by the way can be found here ) that I used for 12 days.  So, please, get used to the whole nursing thing before you splurge on bras.  Wait a month or so to be sure they are comfy and fit you well.  Check out Be By Baby.  


AND, most importantly, do not put too much pressure on yourself for a blissful nursing experience.  While that bliss does exist for some, it does not exist for all new mothers and however you feed your baby will be perfect for you and your little one.  Congratulations on your pregnancy and happy first Mother's Day to you! 



Breast,
Lara


  

1 comment:

Alice said...

Great Answer. Great Blog!