Friday, April 23, 2010

Chicken Loser


Dear Lara,
I really enjoy cooking and can more than find my way around a kitchen. However, there is one area that always proves difficult for me: cooking chicken. I don't really eat red meat, so healthy boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the protein of choice in my house and I prefer to bake them in the oven since it allows me time to work on other things. Although we eat chicken multiple times each week, I am terrible at cooking with it and and can never tell when it's done. I often overcook it and they end up dry. Is there a way to get perfect chicken every time?

Sincerely,
Chicken Loser


Dear CL,

Ahh... the dreaded chicken breast. I thought about researching some chicken breast recipes for you - but then decided to go ahead with my gut on this and be direct. You sound like a direct kinda person and can take the news. Baked boneless chicken breasts are the WORST. Yep, they are terrible, dry, dense and lack flavor even if you dump a whole bunch of sodium ridden sauce on top of them. Take them out of your cooking repertoire. Here are three fool proof ways to bake yourself some good bird:

1) If you must have a breast - bone-in split chicken breasts are the way to go. Purchase them with the skin ON, throw them on a baking sheet with some olive oil, salt and pepper and bake them for 45 minutes - or until the juices run clear. Then, take the skin off and either shred into your favorite dish or serve as is with some veggies and brown rice. You can find this recipe from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) - and I highly recommend using this chicken in her delicious multi-seasonal light and healthy chicken chili.

2) Let's check out the dark side - I make this dish every week and without fail it is my husband's favorite. Purchase one package of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Remove from package, rinse and pat dry. Place all of the thighs in a heavy casserole dish (pre-sprayed with Pam) with a lid - I use a small le crueset pot. Once again, spray the thighs with some Pam and season with Lawrey's Seasoned Salt and some Paprika. Bake in a 375 degree oven (no lid) for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and cover with one small sliced SWEET onion (always use sweet onions to cook with - as they add so much more flavor), spray with a little more Pam, cover with lid and continue to bake in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour (continue to baste). Again, place these guys over some brown rice and you have a really comforting and healthy chicken dish.

3) Ok guys, let's cook that whole bird! I usually make this on Sundays so I have leftover chicken for sandwiches and salads for the week. Again, rinse and dry your bird very well. Truss his little legs together and tuck back his wings. Season with salt and pepper. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter and brush over the bird. Stuff his little bottom with a bunch of fresh thyme, sliced up sweet onion, a few cloves of garlic and a wedge or two of lemon if you're feeling zesty! Bake that bird at 375 degrees for a little over an hour - again check to see if the juices run clear and if the leg wiggles away easily from the body. Oh, and BASTE BASTE BASTE throughout the cooking process. This bird is so flavorful and juicy it melts in your mouth.

MWAH - bon appetit!
Lara

2 comments:

Alice said...

These sound terrific. I'm going to try those thighs asap. Yum.

Lisa Hanneman said...

Yummmmm. Can't wait to try your recipe!