Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mac Baby


Dear Lara,
My son, who is less than 1 1/2 years old, really likes computers. He is obsessed with our laptop, our cell phones, anything with a screen that lights up. Clearly, I can't let him have at these devices due to fear of breakage, battery eating, etcetera, but I'm wondering if there is anything out there that I can buy him that simulates that screen lighting up bit that he loves so much that I can leave him alone with for more than one minute.

At Home IT Department 


Dear At Home IT,

So funny you should ask, as we are experiencing the same thing with our little one.  He seems particularly drawn to my husband's new iPad which is a big no no as that seems entirely too fragile for his careless little paws.  My husband and I actually said that Apple should come up with an "iBaby" if you will that would provide little ones with a gadget of their own they could play with.  However, there are a couple of things to consider here before we go off and encourage our tots to stand in line at the Apple store.

1.  They want EVERYTHING we have.  If it's your iPhone, Blackberry, laptop, stuffed olive, or shot of whiskey (yes, we typically feast on stuffed olives and whiskey nightly) - they not only want to see it - they want to grab it, eat it, drink it and consume it in every way possible.  Therefore, this could mean that your latest electronic "baby" purchase could very well find its way into the heap of other toys collecting throughout the corners of your home while your little guy continues to eat the keys off your laptop.

2.  Do toddlers really need "gadgets"?  I mean... whatever happened to the old fashioned puzzle, lego and stacking rings?  I'm just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to being on my laptop too much and obsessing over my latest text on the old Blackberry.  I surely do not want my child to start those habits in his under 2 years of existence.  Can you imagine... he'll be texting before he talks!!

3.  I sound old and boring now don't I?  I don't mean to.  I certainly want my son to be far more technically savvy than I am - and he will be without a doubt given what's out there today.  I just want him to be able to create his own fun before he's totally bombarded with gadgets at every turn.   Though I must admit... this laptop seems pretty awesome.

As for some other flashy toys... give this Top Toy List a whirl and see what makes your little guy light up until he's ready for his own mini Mac.

Best,
Lara




No comments: